|
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] Re: [RFC XEN PATCH 00/13] Running bare-metal tests with "pytest"
On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 12:08:47PM +0200, Anthony PERARD wrote: > From: Anthony PERARD <anthony.perard@xxxxxxxxxx> > > Patch series available in this git branch: > https://xenbits.xenproject.org/git-http/people/aperard/xen-unstable.git > br.ci.bare-metal-with-pytest-v1 > > Hi, > > I wanted to add some new machine to our GitLab CI, but I didn't want to > duplicate yet another time the existing shell script. They are good to get the > ball rolling but are getting harder to maintain as more test are been added, > and don't share common code between machines. > > So, I've start work on something based on `pytest` which I hope will be easier > to maintain and extend and use to add new machines. Nice! > It's still Work In Progress. > > Here is the current result: > https://gitlab.com/xen-project/people/anthonyper/xen/-/jobs/16529107619 Minor readability improvement idea: force color output of pytest. > In this pipeline, the artifact use are a bit different from master; linux is > built with network driver, and vlan; the rootfs is from Marek's patch series, > with networking and dropbear service enabled. > > Next: > > I'd like to at least have a new fixture that give a started Host that a test > can ssh into. Then maybe a new class "Host" which could have functions for ssh > and getting the serial console output. > > Don't go to much into detail review, I'm more interested of a general > overview, > and to present what I have so far. We had a design session on this topic, and we discussed a structural change: have one job per Xen boot flavor (mostly dom0 PV vs PVH, but could be also other settings needing host reboot) and then have pytest run several tests via SSH. The idea is to not waste 2-4 minutes for every ~10 sec test. Yes, it does mean one failed test will likely prevent others in the same job from running (especially in case of Xen panic), but since the intended state is "all green", a single failure is bad already, and this approach should still get you enough information to debug that first failure. In practical terms, it would require most fixtures to be class or session scope, instead of the default test scope. And using more SSH instead of baking tests into startup scripts (already partially done, but may need extending to domU commands too). Other than that, this approach looks nice, and I really like using pytest here, as it makes the structure significantly better. This will likely require a bit of adjustments to handle also other hosts (for example for qubes runners tftp dir is mounted into gitlab's container so there is no need to sftp boot files). But that should be easy to do later, it doesn't change the overall structure much. > Some runes: > - uv run mypy . > to check the code, at least the types used. > other code check could be added, and run by the pipeline > - uv run pytest > to run the whole test suite > - uv run pytest test_boot.py::test_xen_tools_tests > to run just one test > > I did create an Arch Linux docker image with pytest, but paramiko got too new > to be used, so I've started to use `uv` to deal with the dependencies. `mypy` > always needed to be run with `uv` due to missing types for paramiko (not > packaged in Arch Linux). So the image is useless, and I'll look for a > different > image later, for now just Arch Linux with `uv` installed. FWIW Qubes tests use Alpine container, seems to have all what we need. I see it also has paramiko 4.0.0 -- Best Regards, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki Invisible Things Lab Attachment:
signature.asc
|
![]() |
Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our |