Re: [RFC 0/7] Proposal to make x86 IOMMU driver support configurable

On 12/20/22 12:09, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 19.12.2022 19:28, Andrew Cooper wrote:
IOMMUs are more tricky still.  They are (for most intents and purposes)
mandatory on systems with >254 CPUs.  We could in principle start
supporting asymmetric IRQ routing on large systems, but Xen doesn't
currently and it would be a lot work that's definitely not high on the
priority list.  At a minimum, this will need expressing in the Kconfig
help text.

We need to decide whether it is sensible to allow users to turn off
IOMMU support.  It probably is, because you could trivially do this by
selecting CONFIG_INTEL only, and booting the result on an AMD system.

One other thing Andrew and I have been talking about: We probably do
not want to tie the IOMMU vendor control to CPU vendor one. IOW we'd
like to be able to e.g. build a hypervisor supporting Intel (only) as
the CPU vendor, but at the same time having support for an AMD IOMMU.

I totally understand. I am not aiming to tie the AMD/INTEL IOMMU support to any particular CPU vendor.

For the names, I don't think AMD_IOMMU vs INTEL_VTD is a sensible.
Probably wants to be INTEL_IOMMU to match.

Or simply VTD, covering the case than some other vendor comes up with a
clone. But of course we have that same issue with "AMD" and Hygon ...

I prefer INTEL_IOMMU over VTD, I think.

Jan

--
Xenia