Re: [RFC 0/7] Proposal to make x86 IOMMU driver support configurable

Hi,

On 12/19/22 20:28, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 19/12/2022 6:34 am, Xenia Ragiadakou wrote:
This series aims to provide a means to render the iommu driver support for x86
configurable. Currently, irrespectively of the target platform, both AMD and
Intel iommu drivers are built. This is the case because the existent Kconfig
infrastructure does not provide any facilities for finer-grained configuration.

The series adds two new Kconfig options, AMD_IOMMU and INTEL_VTD, that can be
used to generate a tailored iommu configuration for a given platform.

This series will be part of a broader effort to separate platform specific
code and it is sent as an RFC to gather feedback regarding the way the
separation should be performed.

Hello,

Thanks for the series.

 From discussions in the past, we do want CONFIG_INTEL/AMD/etc and we do
want these to be selectable and available for randconfig to test.

Some sub-features are more complicated, because e.g. Centaur have CPUs
with a VT-x implementation.  This will need expressing in whatever
Kconfig scheme we end up with.

What about having configuration per cpu vendor, per virtualization technology and per IOMMU technology? I mean sth like [CPU_AMD, CPU_HYGON, CPU_INTEL, CPU_SHANGHAI, CPU_CENTAUR], [AMD_SVM, INTEL_VMX] and [AMD_IOMMU, INTEL_IOMMU], respectively?

IOMMUs are more tricky still.  They are (for most intents and purposes)
mandatory on systems with >254 CPUs.  We could in principle start
supporting asymmetric IRQ routing on large systems, but Xen doesn't
currently and it would be a lot work that's definitely not high on the
priority list.  At a minimum, this will need expressing in the Kconfig
help text.

Ok.

We need to decide whether it is sensible to allow users to turn off
IOMMU support.  It probably is, because you could trivially do this by
selecting CONFIG_INTEL only, and booting the result on an AMD system.

I cannot understand. I guess that if the code for the target system is disabled, Xen won't boot ... hopefully :).

If users are not allowed to turn off the IOMMU support, it can be always enabled unconditionally via Kconfig select based on the virtualization technology or other.

For the names, I don't think AMD_IOMMU vs INTEL_VTD is a sensible.
Probably wants to be INTEL_IOMMU to match.

Ok.

~Andrew

--
Xenia