Re: [Xen-devel] Upstream Dom0 DRM problems regarding swiotlb

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13/02/2019 20:15, Michael Labriola wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> > <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> <nods> That looks much better.
> > Great!  Now the only question left is:  KVM, VMware, Xen PVH, Xen HVM,
> > and Xen PV all populate pv_info.  Do any of those other than Xen PV
> > *really* need swiotlb.  That's slightly over my head.  As written, my
> > patch would require swiotlb for all of them because I was attempting
> > to not be Xen-specific.
>
> Its far more complicated that "Xen PV requires swiotlb".
>
> I presume the underlying problem here is DRM being special and not
> DMA-mapping its buffers, and trying to DMA to a buffer crossing a 4k
> boundary?

Well, I don't 100% understand how all these things work...  but here's
what I do know.  There are a series of commits in v4.17 that try to
optimize the radeon and amdgpu drivers by skipping calls to
ttm_dma_populate() and ttm_dma_unpopulate() unless they're "really
needed".  The original commit determines if swiotlb is needed by
checking to see if the max io mapping address of system memory is over
the video card's accessing range.  I can no longer log into Gnome on a
Xen dom0 after upgrading my kernel to v4.20 because the code that's no
longer happening was actually needed in a paravirtualized environment.

So, I'm trying to get all my details straight so I can submit a patch
to fix it w/out saying anything factually incorrect.

--
Michael D Labriola
21 Rip Van Winkle Cir