Re: [Xen-devel] pci-passthrough loses msi-x interrupts ability after domain destroy

Thursday, September 21, 2017, 10:39:52 AM, you wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 03:50:35PM -0400, Jérôme Oufella wrote:
>> Hi Xen-devel,
>>
>> I'm using PCI pass-through to map a PCIe (intel i210) controller into
>> a HVM domain. The system uses xen-pciback to hide the appropriate PCI
>> device from Dom0.
>>
>> When creating the HVM domain after an hypervisor cold boot, the HVM
>> domain can access and use the PCIe controller without problem.
>>
>> However, if the HVM domain is destroyed then restarted, it won't be
>> able to use the pass-through PCI device anymore. The PCI device is
>> seen and can be mapped, however, the interrupts will not be passed to
>> the HVM domain anymore (this is visible under a Linux guest as
>> /proc/interrupts counters remain 0). The behavior on a Windows10 guest
>> is the same.
>>
>> A few interesting hints I noticed:
>>
>> - On Dom0, 'lspci -vv' on that PCIe device between the "working" and
>> the "muted interrupts" states, I noted a difference between the
>> MSI-X caps:
>>
>> - Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable- Count=5 Masked- <-- IRQs will work if
>> domain started
>> + Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable- Count=5 Masked+ <-- IRQs won't work if
>> domain started
>>                                             ^^^^^^^

> IMHO it seems that either your device is not able to perform a reset
> successfully, or Linux is not correctly performing such reset. I don't
> think there's a lot that can be done from the Xen side.

Unfortunately for a lot of pci-devices a simple reset as performed by default
isn't enough,
but also almost none support a real pci FLR.

In the distant past Konrad has made a patchset that implemented a bus reset and
reseting config space. (It piggy backed on already existing libxl mechanism of
trying to call on a syfs "do_flr" attribute which triggers pciback to perform
the busreset and rewrite of config space for the device.

I use that patchset ever since for my pci-passtrough needs and it works pretty
well. I can shutdown an restart VM's with pci devices passed trhough (also AMD
Radeon graphic cards).

Jérôme:
Although your mileage may vary, you could try the attached patch, it's
for a > 4.9 linux kernel's pciback, although it probably also would apply with
for a > minimal adjustments (mostly non matching line numbers) to an some what
earlier kernel.

If it works for you as well, perhaps it deserves a mention on the Xen wiki in
the
pci-passtrough section.

Roger:
I follow your PVH (dom0) patches shallowly, from my understanding it will
result
in Xen having more inteference with the handling of PCI devices ?
If that's correct will this also impact the resetting logic, or will most stay
in  the dom0 kernel/pciback ?

--
Sander