Re: [Xen-devel] Booting signed xen.efi through shim

>>                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA
>>  6 .bss          00143280  ffff82d080820000  ffff82d080820000  00000000  2**4
>>                  ALLOC, RELOC
>
> Objdump is apparently ignoring a section attribute bit here - my
> own utility properly prints "bss" in addition to "read" (which presumably
> matches "ALLOC" above, albeit that's a bogus translation apparently
> applying ELF semantics to COFF). You'll want to check that bit 7 in the
> section attributes is set. I'm also puzzled by "RELOC", but I do see a
> matching bit dumped here; not sure why that's being set.

So this is a result of .bss requiring 32k alignment, but COFF/PE
only allowing for up to 8k, and ld neither checking nor truncating
the value (which thus spills over into the next bit). I'm trying to
put together a binutils fix, but as said earlier the flag being set
is supposed to be benign in an executable.

Jan