Re: [Xen-devel] RT-Xen on ARM

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Andrii Anisov <andrii_anisov@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21.08.17 11:07, Andrii Anisov wrote:
>>
>> Hello Meng Xu,
>>

>> On 18.08.17 23:43, Meng Xu wrote:
>>>
>>> The Section 4.1 and 4.2 in [1] explained the whole experiment steps.
>>> If you have any question or confusion on a specific step, please feel
>>> free to let me know.
>>
>> From the document it is not really clear if you ran one guest RT domain or
>> several simultaneously for your experiments.
>
> Also it is not described XEN RT scheduler setup like vcpus period/budget
> configuration for each guest domain.
> It is not obvious if the configured set of vcpus in the experiment setup
> utilized all the pcpus bandwidth.

Given the set of tasks in each VM, we compute the VCPUs' periods and
budgets, using the CARTS tool [1]. Note that each task has a period
and a worst-case execution time (wcet).

The configured set of vcpus in the experiment setup may not use all
pcpus bandwidth. For example, if we have one task (period = 10ms, wcet
= 2ms) on a VCPU, the VCPU of the task will not be configured with
100% bandwidth. If the VCPU is the only VCPU on a pcpu, that pcpu
bandwidth won't be fully used because there is not enough workload to
fully use all pcpu bandwidth.

[1] https://rtg.cis.upenn.edu/carts/

Best,

Meng