Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Community Call 21/06/17 meeting minutes

On 05/07/17 14:29, Andrii Anisov wrote:
Hello Julien,

Hi Andrii,

On 04.07.17 17:42, Julien Grall wrote:
* Renesas R-Car *

There are a page on Xen wiki how on to use Xen on the Salvator-X:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Salvator-X

It was mentioned there are missing patches in Xen to support the
serial console. I am wasn't able to find which one. Can someone give a
pointer to any missing patches for the R-Car?

Here is the original patch for an early console [1].

From my side I have some minor changes to the patch. Just rewording
'cause all existing R-Car Gen3 based dev-boards have the same console
configuration.
I would send an updated patch today.

Thank you for that. I would love to see this board fully supported in Xen. When the previous patch was sent, I requested a couple of things to be done (see [2]). Unfortunately, at the moment they are not all addressed.

We need someone to take the "owernership" of the board. This means testing Xen during RC and helping user who wans to boot Xen on R-Car.

Furthermore, the current wiki page for R-Car does not provide runes to build Xen upstream. It only provides an Yocto layer based with compile a patched Xen.

Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly happy to use Yocto. But it should not build a Xen with non-upstream patches containing security flaw (see [3]).

But, when I see the list of patches (see [3]) and the "Known limitations", it raises the question whether we have everything in Xen upstream to support this board.

Can one of you update the wiki page with the last Xen upstream and write down what is really missing in the hypervisor.

Cheers,

[1]
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-11/msg00594.html

[2] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-07/msg00130.html [3] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-11/msg01955.html