Re: [Xen-devel] [for-4.9] Re: HVM guest performance regression

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 07/06/17 20:19, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> >> Hmm, too bad.

> >> Its a 1 vcpu guest.

> >> That might depend on the hardware. Could it be newer processors are
> >> faster here?
> >
> > I don't think so: the alternative it's an emulated interrupt. It's
> > slower under all points of view.
>
> What about APIC virtualization of modern processors? Are you sure e.g.
> timer interrupts aren't handled completely by the processor? I guess
> this might be faster than letting it be handled by the hypervisor and
> then use the callback into the guest.
>
> > I would try to run the test with xen_emul_unplug="never" which means
> > that you are going to end up using the emulated network card and
> > emulated IDE controller, but some of the other optimizations (like the
> > vector callback) will still be active.
>
> Now this is something I wouldn't like to do. My test isn't using any
> I/O at all and is showing bad performance with pv interfaces being used.
> The only remedy right now seems to be to switch off pv interfaces
> leading to a bad I/O performance, but a good non-I/O performance.
>
> You are suggesting a mode with bad I/O performance _and_ bad non-I/O
> performance.

I was only suggesting this for debugging, to better understand the
problem, not as a solution.

> > If the cause of the problem is ballooning for example, using emulated
> > interfaces for IO will reduce the amount of ballooned out pages
> > significantly.
>
> No I/O involved in my benchmark.

I admit that if your test doesn't do any I/O, it is not likely that
xen_emul_unplug="never" will help us understand the problem.

Nonetheless, I believe that a simple blkfront/blkback or
netfront/netback connection, even without any I/O being done, leads to a
couple of calls into the ballooning code (xenbus_map_ring_valloc_hvm ->
alloc_xenballooned_pages).