Re: [Xen-devel] [for-4.9] Re: HVM guest performance regression

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 26/05/17 21:01, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> >> I wish I would understand it.
> >>
> >> One candidate would be 2M/1G pages being possible with enough free
> >> memory, but I haven't proofed this yet. I can have a try by disabling
> >> big pages in the hypervisor.
> >
> > Right, if I had to bet, I would put my money on superpages shattering
> > being the cause of the problem.
>
> Seems you would have lost your money...
>
> Meanwhile I've found a way to get the "good" performance in the micro
> benchmark. Unfortunately this requires to switch off the pv interfaces
> in the HVM guest via "xen_nopv" kernel boot parameter.
>
> I have verified that pv spinlocks are not to blame (via "xen_nopvspin"
> kernel boot parameter). Switching to clocksource TSC in the running
> system doesn't help either.

What about xen_hvm_exit_mmap (an optimization for shadow pagetables) and
xen_hvm_smp_init (PV IPI)?

> Unfortunately the kernel seems no longer to be functional when I try to
> tweak it not to use the PVHVM enhancements.

I guess you are not talking about regular PV drivers like netfront and
blkfront, right?

> I'm wondering now whether
> there have ever been any benchmarks to proof PVHVM really being faster
> than non-PVHVM? My findings seem to suggest there might be a huge
> performance gap with PVHVM. OTOH this might depend on hardware and other
> factors.
>
> Stefano, didn't you do the PVHVM stuff back in 2010? Do you have any
> data from then regarding performance figures?

Yes, I still have these slides:

https://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/linux-pv-on-hvm