Re: [Xen-devel] Modules support in Xen (WAS: Re: [ARM] Native application design and discussion (I hope))

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Volodymyr Babchuk
<vlad.babchuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> On 11 May 2017 at 19:35, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Even better would be to skip the module-loading step entirely, and just
>> compile proprietary code directly into your Xen binary.
>>
>> Both solutions, unfortunately, are illegal.*
> Look, I don't saying we want to produce closed-source modules or apps.
> We want to write open source code. Just imagine, that certain header
> files have some proprietary license (e.g. some device interface
> definition and this interface is IP of company which developed it).
> AFAIK, it can't be included into Xen distribution. I thought, that it
> can be included in some module with different (but still open source)
> license.  But if you say that it can't... Then I don't know. It is out
> of my competence. I'm not lawyer also.

I see.  That's good to know, but it doesn't change the legal aspect of
things. :-0

It used to be held that the information contained in headers --
constants, interface definitions, and so on -- weren't copyrightable;
in which case you could just include the header (or a modified version
of it) without any problems.  Unfortunately Oracle v Google may have
changed that.  But you'd have to ask a lawyer about that...

 -George