Re: [Xen-devel] xen/arm: Assertion 'timer->status >= TIMER_STATUS_inactive' failed at timer.c:279

On 27/04/16 15:05, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-04-27 at 14:43 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
>> On 26/04/16 18:49, Dario Faggioli wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me know, and I'll resubmit the patch properly (together with
>>> another bugfix I have in my queue).
>> Yeah, assuming the description in your changeset is accurate, this
>> seems
>> like the right approach.
>>
> Ok, thanks for having a look, I'll submit a proper series.
>
>> The main thing to add here I think is that we need to document what
>> different circumstances under which the various functions may be
>> called
>> -- for instance, in credit1 free_pdata(), it seems to expect that spc
>> may == null at some point.  Future schedulers need to know the
>> circumstances under which this might happen so they can DTRT.
>>
> I saw that too (many times). And in fact, I'm not sure whether that can
> actually happen or not, but I certainly can look at this.
>
> And if by "document what different circumstances under which the
> various functions may be called" you mean adding comments to that
> effect somewhere, I'm up for that (I just need to figure out where it
> would be best to put such comments).

Yes, comments is what I meant.  At very least it should be documented
that alloc/free might be called without init/deinit netsed inside.  If
you're also not sure how free_pdata() could be called with spc == null,
then I think we can probably punt an investigation into that until later
as well.

>> It might be nice at some point to have the alloc / free / init /
>> deinit
>> functions in credit1 ordered in a rational way so that they could be
>> understood by glancing at them, rather than having to jump around,
>> but
>> that's probably a nice-to-have clean-up for another time. :-)
>>
> When you say "ordered" you mean the order in which they appear in the
> source file? If yes, I agree, but no, I'm not doing that right now (but
> I can queue this for when 4.8 opens).

Sorry, yes I meant ordered in the source file.

 -George