Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.7 Headline Features (for PR)

> On 22 Apr 2016, at 14:39, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 02:26:39PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> given that we have we are getting close to RC's, I would like to start to
>> spec out the headline Features for the press release. The big items I am
>> aware of are COLO. I am a little confused about xSplice.
>>
>> Maybe we can use this thread to start collating a short-list.

Typically we have 3-5 Headline Features in a press release.

> xSplice is definitively the first one on my list. I'm actually holding
> off cutting RC1 waiting for it to be merged.

This would definitely be the #1 Headline feature then. It's the single most
important thing we have done in a while and it has the potential to positive

> COLO is also a candidate, but there are many components that are not yet
> upstream. Those are not necessarily part of xen.

Alright, we may need to be careful as to not raise wrong expectations, if there
are missing pieces say in QEMU. On the other hand, having this in place before
KVM is also nice.

> ACPI support on ARM is also a possible candidate.

Agreed. Also easy to explain.

> There are also new PVUSB support in toolstack and some Intel features
> but I think they are less shiny.

I am working with Intel product management to better understand the use-cases
for some of these and the user impact/benefit. That was something, we were
struggling with in the past (aka acronym overload and hard to understand the
big picture).

Best Regards
Lars