Re: [Xen-devel] deprecating pvgrub (grub-legacy)

On 2/8/16 7:26 AM, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 06/02/16 21:38, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Given that pvgrub2 has been available for a while now and Ian did a good
>> write up on the Xen blog of how to use it and a few downstream distros
>> are starting to pick it up as the way to boot Xen images. Plus most
>> downstreams switching exclusively to grub2 usage is it time to mark
>> pvgrub (grub-legacy) as deprecated in all the docs and source? Maybe
>> after a few release cycles it would be broken out of the tree into its
>> own repo for anyone still interested in using it?
>
> Why?  This would do is make it harder to use for those that continue to
> need to use it (for booting older guests for example).
>
> David

I'm suggesting making it a separately build-able component. I'm
suggesting stating its deprecated so people don't seem to be inclined to
try and use it to boot modern distros. I still see people popping into
#xen asking how to add grub-legacy bits into their CentOS 7 / Ubuntu
14.04 VMs since those distros use grub2 by default. You look all over
the internet and it mostly says that Xen still uses grub-legacy (without
ever really calling it grub-legacy or grub1). Just trying to get the
default recommended path to match what current distros are shipping.

--
Doug Goldstein