Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed in qemu

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 06:27:17PM +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 14/10/2015 13:06, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
> >I would suggest Fabio to avoid AHCI disks altogether and just use OVMF
> >with PV disks only and Anthony's patch to libxl to avoid creating any
> >IDE disks: http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=144482080812353.
> >
> >Would that work for you?
>
> Thanks for the advice, I tried it:
> https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-testing-4.6
>
> I installed W10 pro 64 bit with ide disk, installed the win pv drivers and
> after changed to xvdX instead hdX, is the only change needed, right?
> Initial boot is ok (ovmf part about pv disks seems ok) but windows boot
> fails with problem with pv drivers.
> In attachment full qemu log with xen_platform trace and domU's xl cfg.
>
> Someone have windows domUs with ovmf and pv disks only working? If yes can
> tell me the difference to understand what can be the problem please?

When I worked on the PV disk implementation in OVMF, I was able to boot
a Windows 8 with pv disk only.

I don't have access to the guest configuration I was using, but I think one
difference would be the viridian setting, I'm pretty sure I did not set it.

--
Anthony PERARD