Re: [Xen-devel] Missing copyright in the Xen header files

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 17:05 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:

> On 10/09/2015 17:26, "Roger Pau Monné" <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >CCing Lars (the community manager).
> >
> >El 09/09/15 a les 14.11, Mike Belopuhov ha escrit:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We're in the process of porting Xen PVHVM drivers to OpenBSD
> >> and have come across missing copyright lines on some of Xen
> >> interface header files, for instance:
> >>

> >>https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/xen/interface/hvm/hvm_op.h?revis
> >>ion=251767&view=markup
> >>
> >>https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/incl
> >>ude/xen/interface/hvm/hvm_op.h
> >>
> >> This is not common and we have some concerns whether it is
> >> valid to release source code w/o stating who has granted those
> >> rights that are stated in the license.
> >>
> >> Would it be possible to amend the license and add a Copyright
> >> line mentioning Xen project or an individual contributor like
> >> it's done it othe places in the Xen source code?

Hi Lars,

> I don't think this should be an issue. The (c) holders are all the people
> who contributed to a specific file and can be retrieved from the git
> history for the file. Each contributor explicitly agrees to the DCO, which
> means he/she retains the (c) to the file. But copying the file, does imply
> the loss of the change-history, so it makes sense in such situations to
> update the license statement.

Precisely.

> The work just needs to be done by someone.

If we could use a stub that you'd be fine with -- it will be
superb, more than we could ask for.

Otherwise I have to pick the Xen committer and year based on
the git history, i.e. for the hvm_op.h this would be[1]:

"Copyright (c) 2007 Keir Fraser"

But having this in my repo and then in, say, OpenBSD, but not
in Xen git, FreeBSD or Linux seems kinda silly.

> Best Regards
> Lars

[1]
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=history;f=xen/include/public/hvm/hvm_op.h