Re: [Xen-devel] Missing copyright in the Xen header files

On 10/09/2015 17:26, "Roger Pau MonnÃ" <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>CCing Lars (the community manager).
>
>El 09/09/15 a les 14.11, Mike Belopuhov ha escrit:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're in the process of porting Xen PVHVM drivers to OpenBSD
>> and have come across missing copyright lines on some of Xen
>> interface header files, for instance:
>>

>>https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/xen/interface/hvm/hvm_op.h?revis
>>ion=251767&view=markup
>>
>>https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/incl
>>ude/xen/interface/hvm/hvm_op.h
>>
>> This is not common and we have some concerns whether it is
>> valid to release source code w/o stating who has granted those
>> rights that are stated in the license.
>>
>> Would it be possible to amend the license and add a Copyright
>> line mentioning Xen project or an individual contributor like
>> it's done it othe places in the Xen source code?

I don't think this should be an issue. The (c) holders are all the people
who contributed to a specific file and can be retrieved from the git
history for the file. Each contributor explicitly agrees to the DCO, which
means he/she retains the (c) to the file. But copying the file, does imply
the loss of the change-history, so it makes sense in such situations to
update the license statement.

The work just needs to be done by someone.

Best Regards
Lars