Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

* Daniel P. Berrange (berrange@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > Because GPL is not a permissive license. An accidental git grep and
> > > copying some code can change the license of the code that gets the
> > > GPL code pasted into it.
> >
> > I like this argument. It is slightly tempered by the fact that git
> > grep always shows the source path, and thus 'GplDriverPkg' would be
> > obviously visible.
>
> Plenty of projects have a scenario in which different parts of their
> codebase are under different licenses, without there being undue
> problems. If you make it clear by having a separate directory, then
> I think you can ultimately credit the developers with having enough
> intelligence to do the right thing here. If not, then I'd probably
> question whether you can trust them to submit any code at all, as
> they could equally have blindly copied it from a 3rd party project
> under an incompatible license.

Many companies dont trust their engineers to do that, and have painful
review processes to stop their engineers stupidly copying closed
code into open projects; and in general they're needed because the
engineers would do it if they weren't stopped.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx / Manchester, UK