Re: [Xen-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

On 2015-09-09 12:11:26, El-Haj-Mahmoud, Samer wrote:
> The recent expansions beyond BSD where all permissive licenses (BSD
> like) as far as I can tell.
>
> I agree with Andrew, opening the door for GPL licensed code in EDK2
> will have severe consequences for products that are built using
> EDK2.

I don't think simply having a GplDriverPkg in the tree would have any
consequences for a platform that doesn't use any code in that package.
Obviously we could not make any core packages rely on that package.

This would just be a sanctioned, clear landing place for people that
cannot, or will not provide their driver under a permissive license.

This license will limit who can use drivers from this package. For
that reason, I hope that we will always ask if a contribution can be
permissively licensed instead.

Personally, I would prefer a 2-clause BSD only tree for simplicity,
but unfortunately, that sort of restriction has its own drawbacks as
well. (frustrated contributors and less contributions)

FWIW, I don't mind if the consensus is that GplDriverPkg must live in
a separate repo. But, it would be nice to hear a good reason why it
must live elsewhere. (And, why that doesn't also apply to FatBinPkg.)

-Jordan