Re: [Xen-devel] Notes from Xen BoF at Debconf15

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:52:35 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 14:52:42 +0000

On 9/8/15 5:55 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Jan Beulich writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Notes from Xen BoF at Debconf15"):
>>> Right - 4.4.3 already was released with just one RC, and indeed I
>>> meant to stay with that model considering the little (if any) feedback
>>> we get on these RCs. I personally could live without doing any RCs,
>>> but [...]
>>
>> Having had the chance to reflect I am convinced that we should stop
>> doing RCs for point releases.
>>
>>> [I] thought so far that doing at least one kind of publicly indicates
>>> the intention of doing a release soon.
>>
>> You might hope that it would have that effect, but I don't think it is
>> working.  Also, if it does work, all it does is generate more patches,
>> making the `rc' more of a `prod to get your stuff shoveled in'.
>
> Well, okay - no RCs anymore then unless someone offers a
> convincing reason to have them.
>
> Jan

So I'll just toss in a late thumbs up here. For libvirt we maintain
stable branches that are mostly just security fixes and other important
fixes. We tag these will without RCs and all the downstream distros (and
myself as the downstream maintainer for 3 distros) are happy with that
situation.

--
Doug Goldstein