[Xen-devel] [Vote] Re-open staging for contributions at RC3

Hi all,

I wanted to kick off a vote related to the following threads
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00883.html - [URGENT RFC] Branching and reopening -unstable
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00543.html - [xen 4.6 retrospective] [urgent] rename "freeze" window and make release branch as soon as possible after RC1

Although there was no consensus in the general case to say we should always branch at RC-x at any given release, there seems to be enough consensus for branching earlier, given a number of conditions are met:

In particular:
1: We should not re-open staging too early (aka we would need to get a sense how much churn to expect)
2: Maybe we should not accept major re-factoring and leave it up to the discretion of thy maintainers to do so - aka Ian Jackson's option B. But there seems to be some disagreement around it.

2.1: Some maintainers are concerned that they would have to deal with backporting, if we re-opened early.

2.2: A sensible compromise seems to me for the maintainer to evaluate whether a patch is ready to go in after RC3: if there is an amount of back porting that the maintainer can't deal with, it is IMHO OK for the maintainer to let the contributor know and give him/her the option to provide a patch for two trees as it is customary in Linux OR to wait until the ongoing release is out. This is a slight variant of Ian Jackson's option B in http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00883.html

Of course, 1 will minimise the amount of incidents for 2

= VOTE =
With that in mind: please vote on
A) Do we think 4.6 is in a good enough state to branch at the next RC (which would be RC3)

B) Do we have enough consensus given that there is some disagreement on how to deal with back-porting. In other words, does the proposal 2.2 above look sensible.

Regards
Lars