Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen

On 05/08/15 17:52, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2015, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

>>> Buggy ACPI tables, not possible to describe the ACPI ... There is plenty
>>> of reason.
>>>
>>> I don't know if there is current problem on ACPI (I don't have much work
>>> with it). But it presents on the device tree. We may a lots of specific
>>> platform mapping in Xen (see specific_mapping) because of buggy DT.
>>>
>>> We can't rule out and needs to provide a way to cope with this. If we
>>> don't do it, it will fall on us sooner or later.

>>> Hardcoded.
>>
>> I wouldn't worry about buggy drivers or tables for now.
>>
>> I think that the Linux maintainers should take care of that by refusing
>> to merge any drivers that do such a thing anyway.
>
> If worse comes to worst, we can do the mapping from the platform file in
> Xen, which is bad, but would be appropriate to work around buggy
> firmware.

True. Although, I seem to remembered that it wasn't possible to get the
name of the platform (or something similar) in Xen with ACPI.

Anyway, let's wait until someone provides a such platform. I just wanted
to mention in case we find a better place to call the mapping hypercall.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall