Re: [Xen-devel] design philosophy of blktap

(I apologise for the delay in responding to this. I was away on holidays!)

Hi Xuehan,

I believe you are considering the case where the dom0 CPU capacity is exhausted
because there are too many tapdisks working. This is a common situation which
is not limited to the blktap approach; the performance of anything that a guest
does which requires dom0 time will be subjected to dom0's capacity (e.g. device
emulation via qemu, network traffic via netback).

The plain and simple solution is to give dom0 more CPU power (i.e. more vCPUs,
perhaps as many as available pCPUs, but bear in mind that some Linux kernels
might not perform well with a large amount of CPUs). As a matter of fact,
tapdisk3 is known to scale better than any other alternative for virtualised
storage on Xen when it comes to aggregate guest performance.

You can find out more about it on my XPDS14 talk on this topic:
http://www.xenproject.org/component/allvideoshare/video/xpds14-scaling.html

Cheers,
Felipe