Re: [Xen-devel] ACPI shutdown unreliable with win7?

On 05/29/2015 12:00 PM, Paul Durrant wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Philipson [mailto:ross.philipson@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 29 May 2015 16:35
To: Ian Campbell; Paul Durrant
Cc: Andrew Cooper; xen-devel; Jan Beulich; Ian Jackson
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] ACPI shutdown unreliable with win7?

On 05/29/2015 11:11 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2015-05-29 at 16:06 +0100, Paul Durrant wrote:
FWIW We appear to wait 200s, if we were seeing failures due to
windows
update then I'd be inclined to extend that, but I think right now that
would be premature, unless WU happens with no status on the screen.

No, you'd see something. Perhaps our ACPI lid/power switch code is just
buggy then?

It seems to work reliably for the WinXP tests, FWIW...

Ian.

One thing I find confusing is that the firmware code does not even have
a power button device (PNP0C0C) or the fixed feature power button that
is enabled in the FADT (flag == PWR_BUTTON bit 4). So I don't see how
the shutdown is purely an ACPI function. Is there something else to the
story? Is it relying on PV tools to do it?

Xen (and QEMU seemingly) implement the 'Fixed Power Button' (section
4.8.2.2.1.1 on my spec) and this requires the PWR_BUTTON flag to be clear
(according table 4-13). It also does not require a power button device to be
implemented (which is presumably why this way of doing it was chosen).

Ah got it. I read the spec backwards - that the bit was set not clear for the fixed feature power button :)

   Paul

Ross

Ross Philipson

--