Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] FW: Zir Blazer's guide to install Arch Linux and Xen - need feedback

On 15 April 2015 at 18:50, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 00:14 -0300, Zir Blazer wrote:
>> New version of the guide. Corrected a lot of things, checked syntax,
>> and added what I know so far of IOMMU Groups, with a deep dive in my
>> Supermicro X10SAT topology. There are also Passthrough instructions.
>> But most important of all - MORE THAN 60 SCREENSHOTS! The next step
>> should be to wikify it.
>>
>> I still need feedback and at least a tester. If you have computer that
>> you want to repurpose for Xen (Doesn't neccesarily needs an IOMMU,
>> since that's merely for Passthrough), you can give it a try.
>
> Perhaps you should try the arch linux lists or forums or whatever?

There is a whole lot of text that only really concerns installation of
Arch.  I personally don't really see the point of that part since the
Arch installation docs are excellent already.  It may very well be
that you add some information on top of what's already on the Arch
Wiki, but please consider de-bundling it from the Xen stuff.

The stuff relating to installing Xen are good and clear.  I still
haven't read the articles on the Arch Wiki related to Xen, but having
an "opinionated example" is a good thing.  (I suspect the Arch Wiki is
written in more general terms, in which case your document can serve
as a real-world example, sort of like an instance of a template.)

If you want the text to be more easily consumable I think it needs a
bit of basic layouting, e.g. markdown or putting it on the Arch Wiki
(I liked Ian's suggestion of using your own user's page).  The text
suggests it's targeting Windows users who adventure into Linux in
order to explore virtualisation, so maybe some Windows-related site
might be an even better fit?

In any case *I* think the text relating to Xen is good and clear
enough to move the discussion to some other community, Arch, Windows,
...  That way you'll get feedback from your target group instead of
from Xen zealots. :)

/M

email: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx   jabber: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx