Re: [Xen-devel] "tcp: refine TSO autosizing" causes performance regression on Xen

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 16:46 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I found a performance regression when running netperf -t TCP_MAERTS from
>> > an external host to a Xen VM on ARM64: v3.19 and v4.0-rc4 running in the
>> > virtual machine are 30% slower than v3.18.
>> >
>> > Through bisection I found that the perf regression is caused by the
>> > prensence of the following commit in the guest kernel:
>> >

>> > commit 605ad7f184b60cfaacbc038aa6c55ee68dee3c89
>> > Author: Eric Dumazet <edumazet@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> > Date:   Sun Dec 7 12:22:18 2014 -0800
>> >
>> >     tcp: refine TSO autosizing

[snip]

>> This commit restored original TCP Small Queue behavior, which is the
>> first step to fight bufferbloat.
>>
>> Some network drivers are known to be problematic because of a delayed TX
>> completion.

[snip]

>> Try to tweak /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes to see if it
>> makes a difference ?
>
> A very big difference:
>
> echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes
> brings us much closer to the original performance, the slowdown is just
> 8%
>
> echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes
> fills the gap entirely, same performance as before "refine TSO
> autosizing"
>

> What would be the next step for here?  Should I just document this as an
> important performance tweaking step for Xen, or is there something else
> we can do?

Is the problem perhaps that netback/netfront delays TX completion?
Would it be better to see if that can be addressed properly, so that
the original purpose of the patch (fighting bufferbloat) can be
achieved while not degrading performance for Xen?  Or at least, so
that people get decent perfomance out of the box without having to
tweak TCP parameters?

 -George