Re: [Xen-devel] PML (Page Modification Logging) design for Xen

On 03/24/2015 03:53 PM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 24.03.15 at 07:42, <kai.huang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/17/2015 06:19 PM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 12.02.15 at 03:39, <kai.huang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/11/2015 07:52 PM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 11/02/15 08:28, Kai Huang wrote:
Design
======

- PML feature is used globally

A new Xen boot parameter, say 'opt_enable_pml', will be introduced to
control PML feature detection, and PML feature will only be detected
if opt_enable_pml = 1. Once PML feature is detected, it will be used
for dirty logging for all domains globally. Currently we don't support
to use PML on basis of per-domain as it will require additional
control from XL tool.
Rather than adding in a new top level command line option for an ept
subfeature, it would be preferable to add an "ept=" option which has
"pml" as a sub boolean.
Which is good to me, if Jan agrees.

Jan, which do you prefer here?
A single "ept=" option as Andrew suggested.
Hi Andrew, Jan, Tim,

Sorry to bring this thread back.

Regarding to the parameter to control PML, I plan to enable PML by
default, in which case would a "ept=no-pml" be more reasonable to
disable it manually?
Imo the default should be off at least initially.
OK.
  The command line
option parsing is (and should be) independent of the chosen
default anyway, i.e. overrides in either direction should be
possible.
While the parse_ept_param function does support "ept=pml" and "ept=no-pml" both, I think in the comments of the function we should explicitly tell whether to use "ept=pml" (in case PML is off by default), or "ept=no-pml" (in case PML is on by default), otherwise "ept=pml,no-pml" is legal but obviously it doesn't make any sense (and looks this issue also exists in parse_iommu_param?).

Thanks,
-Kai

Actually by referring to "iommu=" parameter, I would like to do below
changes. Is it good to you?
Looks okay.

Jan