Re: [Xen-devel] stubdom vtpm build failure in staging

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 09:09 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > This compiles for me on Debian with gcc 4.7.2-5.
>
> Same here.
>
> > I'm honestly not sure what the C standard says about duplicate but
> > identical typedefs -- Ian?
>
> How would that matter now? ;-) Old gcc can not deal with it, the commits
> cause a regression for gcc-4.5 and older.

If it is allowed then strictly speaking a bug in gcc-4.5 and older has
caused a regression with C compliant code. In some cases we might then
argue that people should fix their compiler, I doubt that will be needed
in this case, but it is an option.

Anyway, in more practical terms right now this might have an impact on
how invasive a fix we would be prepared to accept. In particular if the
current code is valid then we might want to make the fix conditional on
the gcc version so that we can eventually drop it. If the current code
is invalid then the first fix is to make it valid and see if that also
helps with the older gcc.