Re: [Xen-devel] Nominations for Xen 4.5 stable tree maintainer.

On 07/01/2015 11:26, "Ian Campbell" <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 11:15 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Per http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Maintenance_Releases:
>> "Each stable branch has a maintainer who is nominated/volunteers
>>according to the Maintainer Election
>>  process described in the project governance document
>>[http://www.xenproject.org/governance.html].
>>  This will resulting in the MAINTAINERS file in the relevant branch
>>being patched to include the maintainer."
>>
>> For the past year or so Jan Beulich has been the stable tree maintainer.
>>
>> Since Xen 4.5 has branched that opens up a new stable tree and we can
>>also
>> stop maintaining Xen 4.3 stable tree.
>>
>> The nominations are open - please volunteer yourself. In case nobody
>> volunteers I can also take the role.
>>
>> I ask folks to finish voting/nominating by Jan 14th so that when Xen
>>4.5 comes
>> out we have an viable stable tree maintainer.
>
>I'm not sure how voting is supposed to proceed with multiple nominations
>(and with the deadline for nominations apparently being the same as for
>voting),

Actually, it is questionable whether there are multiple nominations.
Andrew said "If Jan wants a break, I would be happy to volunteer."

I am also not convinced that we need an election, unless the existing
maintainer wants to steps down. We never had one in the past. And we don't
have an explicit nomination for Release Managers unless the existing RM
steps down.

I can't find the mailing list discussion which led to
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Maintenance_Releases (the link
in the change history seems to be wrong). Maybe we should just change the
document to clarify that an election is only needed if the previous
maintainer steps down, which is what I think the intention really was.

Regards
Lars