Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 2/2] x86, vdso, pvclock: Simplify and speed up the vdso pvclock reader

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 10:26:22AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Off-topic note: rdtscp doesn't need a barrier at all.  AIUI AMD
> >> specified it that way and both AMD and Intel implement it correctly.
> >> (rdtsc, on the other hand, definitely needs the barrier beforehand.)

> >> Still no good.  We can migrate a bunch of times so we see the same CPU
> >> all three times and *still* don't get a consistent read, unless we
> >> play nasty games with lots of version checks (I have a patch for that,
> >> but I don't like it very much).  The patch is here:
> >>
> >> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/luto/linux.git/commit/?h=x86/vdso_paranoia&id=a69754dc5ff33f5187162b5338854ad23dd7be8d
> >>
> >> but I don't like it.
> >>
> >> Thus far, I've been told unambiguously that a guest can't observe pvti
> >> while it's being written, and I think you're now telling me that this
> >> isn't true and that a guest *can* observe pvti while it's being
> >> written while the low bit of the version field is not set.  If so,
> >> this is rather strongly incompatible with the spec in the KVM docs.
> >>
> >> I don't suppose that you and Marcelo could agree on what the actual
> >> semantics that KVM provides are and could write it down in a way that
> >> people who haven't spent a long time staring at the request code
> >> understand?  And maybe you could even fix the implementation while
> >> you're at it if the implementation is, indeed, broken.  I have ugly
> >> patches to fix it here:
> >>
> >> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/luto/linux.git/commit/?h=x86/vdso_paranoia&id=3b718a050cba52563d831febc2e1ca184c02bac0
> >>
> >> but I'm not thrilled with them.
> >>
> >> --Andy
> >
> > I suppose that separating the version write from the rest of the pvclock
> > structure is sufficient, as that would guarantee the writes are not
> > reordered even with fast string REP MOVS.
> >
> > Thanks for catching this Andy!
> >

> Don't you stil need:
>
> version++;
> write the rest;
> version++;
>
> with possible smp_wmb() in there to keep the compiler from messing around?

Correct. Could just as well follow the protocol and use odd/even, which
is what your patch does.

What is the point with the new flags bit though?

> Also, if you do this, can you also make setting and clearing
> STABLE_BIT properly atomic across all vCPUs?  Or at least do something
> like setting it last and clearing it first on vPCU 0?

If the version "seqlock" works properly across vCPUs, why do you need
STABLE_BIT "properly atomic" ?

Please define what you mean by "properly atomic".