Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] HVM PCI Passthrough: Code 12: Undersized PCI MMIO region?

On 01/06/15 08:00, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 10:08:35PM -0500, Stephen Oberholtzer wrote:
>> All,
>>

> Hello,
>
>> Please bear with me.  I don't fully understand all of the mechanisms
>> involved here, so this message contains a large quantity of data,
>> including some links to even larger quantities of data.
>> The short version is: I think something isn't reserving enough (GPFN)
>> address space for MMIO.

>> Now, I don't fully understand how this stuff all works, but here's
>> what appears to be happening: Xen isn't reserving enough contiguous
>> GPFN (virtual machine address space) for all of the devices on the
>> virtual PCI bus -- in particular, for what is probably a big honkin'
>> window into the card's onboard RAM.
>>
>> So my two questions are:
>> (1) Is my guess correct?  Or at least close?

I think so.

>> (2) What the heck do I do about it? I don't see any options in
>> xl.cfg(5) for specifying the size of the MMIO region for the virtual
>> PCI bus, or anything similar to that.

There is a new feature in xen 4.5 (soon to be released) that you can
add to the config file (xl.cfg):

   Memory layout
    mmio_hole=MBYTES
        Specifies the size the MMIO hole below 4GiB will be. Only valid for
        device_model_version = "qemu-xen".

        Cannot be smaller than 256. Cannot be larger than 3840.

        Known good large value is 3072.