Re: [Xen-devel] One question about the hypercall to translate gfn to mfn.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> I don't think ballooning is restricted to the regions named RAM in
> >> Dom0's E820 table (at least it shouldn't be, and wasn't in the
> >> classic Xen kernels).
> >
> > Could you please elaborate more on this? It seems counter-intuitive at best.
>
> I don't see what's counter-intuitive here. How can the hypervisor
> (Dom0) or tool stack (DomU) know what ballooning intentions a
> guest kernel may have?

The hypervisor checks that the memory the guest is giving back is
actually ram, as a consequence the ballooning interface only supports
ram. Do you agree?

Ballooning is restricted to regions named RAM in the e820 table, because
Linux respects e820 in its pfn->mfn mappings. However it is true that
respecting the e820 in dom0 is not part of the interface.

> It's solely the guest kernel's responsibility
> to make sure its ballooning activities don't collide with anything
> else address-wise.

In the sense that it is in the guest kernel's responsibility to use the
interface properly.