Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC V8 2/3] libxl domain snapshot API design

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 12:34:47AM -0700, Chun Yan Liu wrote:

> <20141205160615.GA24938@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I have to admit I'm confused by the back and forth discussion. It's hard
> > to justify the design of new API without knowing what the constraints
> > and requirements are from your PoV.
> >
> > Here are my two cents, not about details, but about general constraints.
> >
> > There are two layers, one is user of libxl (clients -- xl, libvirt etc)
> > and libxl (the library itself).
> >
> > 1. it's better to *not* have storage management in libxl.
> >
> > It's likely that clients can have their own management functionality
> > already.  I'm told that libvirt has that as well as XAPI. Having this
> > functionality in libxl is a bit redundant and requires lots of work
> > (enlighten libxl on what a disk looks like and call out to various
> > utilities).
>
> Thanks Wei and Ian for your reply. We did have much discussion around
> can/cannot (e.g. xl can finish disk snapshot?) and should/shouldnot
> (e.g. disk snapshot process should not in xl? domain_snapshot_delete
> should not in libxl?), and confusing because have different ideas. So,
> settling it down is helpful.
>
> Talking about libvirt, it does provide storage management but through
> storage pools and volumes. But usually, we don't use storage pool/vol
> but directly use backend files, then libvirt storage driver can not
> manage them. And for libvirt vol, functionality in storage driver is
> limited, at least 'snapshot' cannot be done. So, libvirt side also
> needs to add codes to handle disk snapshot, quite like xl does.

OK, so I take it that libvirt can be completely out the picture? I mean,
it's not a requirement for you to integrate with libvirt?

I was thinking a stack like this when I replied:

  libvirt: manages snapshot (including storage snapshot)
  libxl
  [other lower level stuffs]

While I read from your reply, libvirt doesn't have that functionality
(or very limited), so you would like to do things like:

  libvirt (or your homebrew toolstack)
  xl      (xl or libxl manages domain snapshots)
  libxl
  [other lower level stuffs]

That's why you spent loads of time discussing with Ian what should be
done where, right?

> Following the constraint that it's better NOT to supply disk snapshot
> functions in libxl, then we let xl and libvirt do that by themselve
> separately, that's OK.
>
> Then I think NO new API needs to be exported in libxl, since:
> * saving/restoring memory, there are already APIs.

The principle is that if existing API doesn't work good enough for you
we will consider adding a new one.

We probably need a new API. If you want to do a live snapshot, we would
need to notify xl that we are in the middle of pausing and resuming a
domain.

> * disk snapshot work is xl internal, can be put in xl (or xlu).
> * handle JSON files is xl internal, can be put in xl.

Yes.

> (these are the main work vm snapshot handles).
>
> Right?
>
> This is quite different from previous document, so better to confirm.
>

> > 2. it's *not* a requirement for xl to have the capability to manage
> > snapshots.
> >
> > It's the same arguement that xl has no idea on how to manage snapshots
> > created by "xl save".  This should ease your concern on having to
> > duplicate code for libvirt and xl.  IMHO the xl only needs to have the
> > capability to create a snapshot and create a domain from a snapshot.
>
> This way it's much easier since we don't need to maintain the snapshot
> info in file and don't need to take care of snapshot chain. But I doubt if
> that's good?
> 1. from user's side, it's a very common request to list all snapshots.
> 2. now for kvm, virsh supplies snapshot-create/delete/list/revert,
>    Is it good the xl only supply snapshot-create/revert? After all,
>    it's more complicated for user to take care of memory saving file
>    and disk snapshot info then 'xl save' (user only needs to take
>    care of memory state file).

However the current architecture for libvirt to use libxl is like

  libvirt
  libxl
  [other lower level stuffs]

So implementing snapshot management in xl cannot work for you either.
It's not part of the current architecture.

Not that I'm against the idea of managing domain snapshot in xl, I'm
trying to reduce workload here.

> > The
> > downside is that now xl and libvirt are disconnected, but I think it's
> > fine.
>
> Two things here:
> 1. connect xl and libvirt, then will need to manage snapshot info in libxl (or
>     libxlu) That's not preferred since the initial design. This is not the
> point
>     we discuss here.
> 2. for xl only, list snapshots and delete snapshots, also need to manage
>     snapshot info (in xl)
>
> Considering manage snapshot info in xl, only question is about idl and
> gentypes.py, expected structure is as following and expected to be saved
> into json file, but it contains xl namespace and libxl namespace things,
> gentypes.py will have problem. Better ideas?
>
> typedef struct xl_domain_snapshot {
>     char * name;
>     char * description;
>     uint64_t creation_time;
>     char * memory_path;
>     int num_disks;
>     libxl_disk_snapshot *disks;
>     char *parent;
>     bool *current;
> } xl_domain_snapshot;

The libxl_disk_snapshot suggests that you still want storage management
inside libxl, which should probably be in libxlu?

  libvirt
  libxl libxlu
  [other lower level stuffs]

Wei.