Re: [Xen-devel] Install Xen on ARM in a bare metal fashion on a Nexus Phone/Tablet or an ARM emulator

Thanks Ian for helping me with the links,

FYI, I found following link : https://blog.xenproject.org/2014/04/01/virtualization-on-arm-with-xen/ (Here it suggests using Foundation Model and Linaro, basically an emulator to get started) though the advanced emulators offered by ARM are paid ones)

Would it be possible to install these ARM emulators on say AWS Amazon / Digital Ocean with the free subscription to try and test these out ? Amazon uses Xen as the underlying virtualization technology and it also uses custom kernels since last 2 years so coincidentally it might just work though the question is how (I read this somewhere on a blog, but I can't point a link to it as I don't remember it, but would you know of such a tuturial / link where someone else has pursued the same ?)

or would you know of any "RISC as a Service with ARM processors" that can be provisioned on demand like AWS where we can install XEN on ARM directly ? Any cloud offering that can be used would be of great help.

Also I was wondering what are the risks / or rather shortcomings in trying directly on the device Nexus / or any other ARM phone which has been tested for the same.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers
Sagun Garg
Chief System Architect
www.nexchanges.com
+91 9920050386

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 15:44 +0530, Sagun Garg wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am new to the world of "Xen on ARM" would like to seek help from
> community on how can I install Xen on ARM on a Nexus Phone / Tablet or
> an emulator
>

> I actually wish to try and install a unikernel : LING (Erlang on Xen)
> on top of the hypervisor dual booted with Android or QNX on a mobile
> phone or a tablet.
>

> If someone can help me point to a TUTORIAL, LINK or some BLOG it will
> be awesome.

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions is the
starting point for all Xen on ARM stuff. There is a list of supported
hardware there, but note that it doesn't include Nexus phones etc,
although of course you could port it if you wanted.

Arndale is probably the most mobile-like platform there (being a dev
board for the Exynos processor used in many phones), my personal
recommendation for running Xen on ARM is a sunxi platform, e.g.
cubietruck except in your case I'm not aware of anyone having looked
into the graphics side of things, which is probably a blocker for you.

You may be interested in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_%28PV%29,
which has been run on tablets/phones, but note that it is not developed
by anyone on this list and is mostly abandonware as far as the open
source code goes.