Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.5 development update (September update). Feature freeze slip by two weeks.

On 09/25/2014 10:22 AM, Dave Scott wrote:
Hi Konrad,

On 10 Sep 2014, at 18:05, <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

*  extend the xenstore ring with a 'closing' signal (fair)
   RFC patch posted
  -  David Scott
I’d like to propose an exception for this one. The title is perhaps underselling it:
although it is a protocol extension (and hence a new feature) the main motivation is to fix a
bug in hvmloader which causes HVM guests to hang during booting on a busy machine. The bug is
fairly easy to reproduce with ~200 VMs: you’ll probably find at least one failed to
boot.

The patch set has got to a v4 but needs a little bit of work to clarify the
relationship between the closing signal and the existing RESET_WATCHES xenstore
protocol request.

I may be pushing my luck here :-) but I’d like to propose an additional
exception for a feature not on your list:

* xl, libxl: add support for ‘channels'

This has got to a v6 and I believe the API and implementation is stable. It mainly
needs some review of the xl config file parsing changes. This is definitely a new
feature and not a bug fix. I’d mainly like to make the API official so that I
can depend upon it in libvirt.

Thanks for your consideration!

I think a release exception is like an Acked-by or a Reviewed-by: it applies to a specific version of a patch series, not the general idea of the patch series. There's no point arguing for a release exception until you actually have an otherwise fully-Acked patch series.

 -George