Re: [Xen-devel] multiboot2 protocol on ARM with ACPI

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 02:43:02PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 15:11 +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I heard that ARM server platforms will be provided with ACPI.
> > Is it true?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  If yes then how multiboot2 protocol for ARM
> > will work on such hardware? As I know it was designed for
> > device tree and it is tightly linked with it. So?
>
> The thing (I think) you are speaking about is not strictly "multiboot2"
> as defined by the grub project (or whoever). Rather it is the thing

Yep, I know.

> which we happen to call multiboot which is described at:
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Multiboot

I thought exactly about that. Anyway, name is a bit unfortunate because
it clashes with name of legacy boot multiboot protocol for x86, MIPS and
maybe others which is defined in completely different way. Once I even heard
that "The thing" is called multiboot2 for ARM. That is why I put multiboot2
in this email, ehh...

> Anyway, with that out of the way...
>
> ARM systems with ACPI still use DT for certain things, including the
> initrd and boot modules (stuff which in speak is in the "/chosen node").
> It's the platform/hardware side of things (i.e. all the stuff
> outside /chosen on a DT system) which is described via ACPI.

Thank you for explanation. I thought that this could be done more or
less in that way but I wanted to be sure.

Daniel