Re: [Xen-devel] multiboot2 protocol on ARM with ACPI

On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 15:11 +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I heard that ARM server platforms will be provided with ACPI.
> Is it true?

Yes.

>  If yes then how multiboot2 protocol for ARM
> will work on such hardware? As I know it was designed for
> device tree and it is tightly linked with it. So?

The thing (I think) you are speaking about is not strictly "multiboot2"
as defined by the grub project (or whoever). Rather it is the thing
which we happen to call multiboot which is described at:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Multiboot

Anyway, with that out of the way...

ARM systems with ACPI still use DT for certain things, including the
initrd and boot modules (stuff which in speak is in the "/chosen node").
It's the platform/hardware side of things (i.e. all the stuff
outside /chosen on a DT system) which is described via ACPI.