Re: [Xen-devel] Debian Kernel: Xen-fb-frontend as a module?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 04:57:26PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:

> That was with an HVM guest running under Xen 4.1 in which this
> guest config was used:
>
> vfb = ['type=vnc,vncunused=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0']
>
> Xend would create an XenStore keys for the PV framebuffer and also making
> sure that QEMU VGA driver was running. The end result was that the guest
> would boot up to Xorg VGA driver, but the frame buffer console (so from
> the moment GRUB2 started Linux up to Xorg) would try to use the xen-fbfront.
>
> And since this is HVM guest and VNCviewer was slurping contents from the
> VGA buffer - which was not used at all - we wouldn't get anything.
>
> Reverting the above patch fixed the issue.

If you have a vfb line in your config file, aren't you actually
explicitly requesting a vfb frontend/backend pair?
XenD is just doing what the user asked him to do, I wouldn't call this a
bug.

What is strange is that given that there is no running vfb backend for
HVM guests in a regular Xen 4.1 installation, xen-fbfront could never
reach the "connected" state ("4" on xenstore): so why is Linux trying to
use vfb when the frontend is not even connected?

The reason is that xenfb_probe calls register_framebuffer and
xenfb_make_preferred_console too early, before even knowing if the
backend is alive.

I would move the register_framebuffer and xenfb_make_preferred_console
calls in xenfb_backend_changed, case XenbusStateConnected. That should
fix it.

> > > The wait stuff for xenbus devices looks like pre-dates distros handling
> > > asynchronous devices with suitable initrds etc.
> >
> > Perhaps, but I think most distros still don't use rootwait by default so
> > unless / turns up reasonably promptly (single digit seconds) the boot
> > may fail.
> >
> > > I think we need a command line configurable white list of device types
> > > to wait for.  The default should be (to match what was done historically):
> > >
> > > PV: vbd, vif, pci, vfb, vkbd.
> > > HVM: vbd, vif.
> > >
> > > I also think it should be possible to default (via a config option) to
> > > an empty white list.
> >
> > Irrespective of the above this seems like a reasonable enough idea to
> > me.
>
> What about ARM?

On ARM (and on PV on HVM x86) we want vfb to work by default if the
xenstore keys are there.  But I don't think that it means we need to
wait 30 secs for it at boot.  What is a reasonable amount of time to
wait for on a slow and overcommitted system? Maybe 5 to 10 secs?