Re: [Xen-devel] AMD GPU passthrough in Xen

Good to know there is interest from AMD into this area :-)

I'm experimenting for a while with:

- xen-unstable (and thus xl)
- latest kernels (both dom0 and domU)
- qemu-xen
- Radeon HD 6570
- secondary passthrough
- Debian linux (sid) with the opensource (in kernel) radeon driver
  (i also tried fglrx with succes, but it's a real PITA to build with every
  new kernel, so i ditched that)

It used to work, but something broke at the moment, but that could also be the
changes to the systemd cruft that Debian jessie/sid is currently undergoing (or
something else since i regularly update all components).

The problems are mostly with restarting the domU, it differs a bit:
- sometimes screen goes ok, sometimes it's garbage.
- the radeon powercontrols only seem to work on the first boot and give errors
on any subsequent one.

But when it works it does:
- the powercontrol.
- opengl and opencl benchmarks with (near) native results.
- hardware video acceleration in xbmc for instance.

So one of the main problems at present seems to be proper resetting of the
whole
device on domain shutdown/start. I did do some experiments with the opensource
radeon driver, but didn't get conclusive results out of that yet.

--
Sander