Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.5 development update (July update)

On 02/09/2014 21:45, konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Below is a summary of the projects / features being worked on for the 4.5
> time frame.  The tentative feature freeze is scheduled for September 10th,
> which is less a week away!
>
> Most of the Xen patches that impacted the hypervisor and had'fair'
> (except the HVM introspection one) I moved to the Xen 4.6 list.
>
> They might get Acked by maintainers in the next couple of days which would
> be fantastic - and if so I will update the list. But perhaps not. Also
> some are in 'good' or in 'ok' condition - but that does not mean they
> will automatically go in Xen 4.5.
>
> In terms of QEMU  - I only had three items and since the version of QEMU
> from upstream we are using is already established (and stable) I don't see us
> backporting any more patches from upstream. But perhaps Stefano has some
> other plans...
>
> In terms of the toolstack - I kept the ones that are in the 'fair' category
> as I think they are easier to test/rebase/retest than the hypervisor ones.
>
> In terms of Linux I am keeping the 'fair' ones as by the Xen 4.6 release
> it could be v3.19, which means there is still an upcoming merge window
> for those.
>
> The "prognosis" is now the likelihood of completion in the 4.5 timeframe.
> A bunch of items had moved to the completed phase which is fantastic.
>
> none - nothing yet
> fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
> ok   - patches posted, acting on review
> good - some last minute pieces
> done - all done, might have bugs
>
> For items involving code hosted on the Xen.org site (including qemu-xen),
> that means a likelihood of having the feature code-complete and mostly
> working by the feature freeze.  (It's OK if there are still bugs to be
> worked out.)  For items in Linux, it would mean having items on track
> to make it into the kernel released just after the scheduled 4.5 time frame.
>
> In terms of libvirt it has monthly releases. As such not going to track
> every release - but closer to when RCs are out.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We are planning on a 9-month release cycle.  Based on that, below are
> our estimated dates:
>
> * Coding time: <=== NOW, one week left!
>
> * Feature Freeze: 10th September 2014
> * First RC: 10th October
> * Release: 10th December 2014
>
> The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
> will therefore be fairly unpredictable.  The feature freeze may be
> slipped for especially important features which are near completion.
>
> If you think your patchset MUST go in Xen 4.5 I will post the procedure
> for requesting an exception to get them in past the feature freeze next
> week.
>
> = Prognosis =
>
> The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done
>
> none - nothing yet
> fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
> ok   - patches posted, acting on review
> [...]

Work on the {lib,}xl side of things are making progress.

Given the lack of stream versioning, *even* at the libxl level, both
sets of changes need to go in together, so there is no chance of
deferring the libxl work.

PV is working and HVM is getting there.  Currently have a lot of
compatibility hacks until Wei's domain json series gets accepted (or
cherrypicked into my queue).  Also, making the restore side asynchronous
is proving very difficult.

Will also require some careful integration with remus.  I believe my
libxc series now contains all the remus-specific bugfixes discovered,
but I have yet to have feedback.

~Andrew