[Xen-devel] xen 4.4.0 dependency lzo fails to build from source due to fPIC

If xen detects lzo, it tries to build tools/xclib/libxenguest.so.4.4.0
with lzo support but fails with the error:

/usr/bin/ld:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.8.2/../../../../lib64/liblzo2.a(lzo_init.o):
relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol '_lzo_config_check' can not be
used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

reading around the subject it would seem to be a problem with the lzo
library (2.08) which has been built without using the -fPIC option.
However, when I look at the lzo package there is no standard way to
build it with -fPIC. My workaround has been simply to remove the lzo
package, but I'm not sure this is a good solution, and I don't
understand why this problem doesn't seem to have been encountered before.

Should I be building Xen with LZO support? (does everybody else build
without LZO support?)

Should I be adding fPIC to the LZO options and rebuilding LZO?

Is there something else I'm doing wrong that is causing the problem?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Anthony.