Re: [Xen-devel] Automotive PV drivers project request

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Artem Mygaiev wrote:
> David, Lars,
>
> Indeed, userspace drivers in Android essentially are set of so libraries for
> libhardware which provides some sort of a HAL
> to kenel drivers. In order to simplify things we can avoid kernel drivers in
> Andorid and go straight to userspace.
>
> I do not think that it is correct to mix PV drivers backends with QEMU, we do
> not do full emulation in most cases, just
> PVHVM

You don't need to do any emulation whatsoever in order to run the PV
backends in QEMU.  You can simply execute QEMU to provide only the PV
backends and nothing else by passing -M xenpv.

In fact we use QEMU as userspace PV backend provider for x86 PV guests,
that do not require any emulation on the hypervisor side at all.

Having the PV backends in QEMU gives you a common framework to write PV
drivers and access xenstore (see hw/xen/xen_backend.c).