Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] libxenstore and xentop confused by renamed VIF interfaces

On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 09:52 +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed a strange behaviour on 'xl top' â it would show no
> network statistics for some of my domU. It turned out that 'xl top'
> shows no network ('NETS', 'NETTX(k)', 'NETRX(k)' all '0') when the
> domU VIF has been renamed by using the 'vifname' option in its xl.cfg
> file.
>
> The 'vifname' option is very useful to have predictable interface names
> for firewall configuration or network monitoring. The problem is
> libxenstore under Linux parses /proc/net/dev to extract 'vif.${domid}.*'
> interfaces, which won't be there, when the interfaces have been renamed.

I suppose it is trying to exclude non-vif network devices (xenbr0, eth0
etc).

> I think the solution would be to look-up the actual interface name or
> index in sysfs, e.g. under /sys/devices/vif-${domind}-*.

Sounds plausible.

Or perhaps check that /sys/class/net/${dev}/device/devtype contains
"vif"? Might want to handle tap devices too. Perhaps parse the content
of /sys/class/net/vif1.0/device/nodename to get the domid and devid?