Re: [Xen-devel] Hidden symbol when debugging hypervisor

>>> On 30.04.14 at 13:28, <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/04/14 11:21, Jan Beulich wrote:
> I have encountered similar problems generating stack traces with the Xen
> Crashdump Analyser, which only has System.map available.
>
> xen.git/xen$ cat System.map | cut -d ' ' -f 3 | sort | uniq -d | wc -l
> 78
>
> Having duplicate symbol names for different symbols is confusing at the
> very least, and trivial to avoid.  I reckon that most if not all of
> those 78 duplicate symbols can, and should be, deduplicated.  Renaming
> credit -> credit2 will amend about 1/4 of that list.

For the crash dump analyzer, I can't see why it shouldn't be able to
consume the symbol table from elf-syms or elf.efi instead of the
(reduced) System.map.

And for Xen generated stack traces I think I already said that this has
been on my todo list for quite some time, pending no more important
things to deal with, yet not to follow what you suggest, but to make
Xen consume its own ELF/COFF symbol table instead of the (again
reduced) one generated by tools/symbols.

My main rationale here is that within a source file having prefix-less
names is not only fine, but preferable (less typing, less needless line
wrapping), and hence only global symbols need to be fully
disambiguated.

Jan