Re: [Xen-devel] Statistics at the host for network nic that was PCI-Passthrough

The guest is not in my control. Use case is: user uploads a Guest VM he made by himself...
It could be the case that I give him an sr-iov (vf) by pci-passthrough or a pci device (not vf). I would still like to get a sense of the pci at the host level...

On April 14, 2014 12:35:01 PM GMT+02:00, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 12:32 +0300, Shimon Zadok wrote:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Statistics at the host for network nic that
was PCI-Passthrough
Date: 14-04-2014 12:30
From: Shimon Zadok <shimonz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>

Is it possible to write an extension to pciback to load a module
specific to that h/w?
It could be a new driver for that hardware that operates by itself for
reading these statistics from the nic...

Then you would have uncoordinated accesses to the hardware from two
domains. That might work for some hardware I suppose but it certainly
isn't a good idea in general.

You'd be better off building something in the domu to export ! the stats
e.g. via xenstore. It could be entirely userspace I expect.