Re: [Xen-devel] Tool to migrate xm/xend managed domains into xl.cfg files

On 02.04.2014 17:45, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 15:33 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Right, you also could do a domxml-from-native xen-sxpr <file> and re-export
>>> that
>>> with domxml-to-native xen-xm as you said.
>>> The reason I am asking or looking into it is trying to figure out whether I
>>> can
>>> offer a nice way of don some of that automatically for people on upgrade
>>> (and
>>> there might be some that don't have libvirt installed as well).
>>
>> Would users really want that translation done automatically?  I'd
>> rather be told how to do it myself so I can check the outcome; but
>> maybe I'm a bit strange that way. :-)
>>
>> In theory it seems like someone who knew what they were doing with
>> python should be able to rip out the sxp parsing stuff from xend,
>
> Does xend store its managed domains as sxp? I thought I'd seem piles of
> XML relating to the XenAPI (== managed domains) under /var somewhere...
>
> Ian.

There is a bit of that but the files themselves
/var/lib/xend/domains/<uuid>/config.sxp are sxp. And for something useful only
with a basic xen install the output should be xm format. Libvirt uses some kind
of xml but we are in a better place there as import export functions are easy to
access. There is only one minor oddness right now that you end up with an xml
that defines a vif#.# interface as a target for a bridge but its simple to grep
that away.

-Stefan