Re: [Xen-devel] Please review the key 4.4 release docs

On 03/14/2014 05:24 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
On 03/11/2014 01:23 AM, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
George Dunlap wrote on 2014-03-10:
On 03/10/2014 04:27 AM, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
Russell Pavlicek wrote on 2014-03-10:
I have done my best to compile the various key release documents
for the 4.4 release.

All have hyperlinks from the download page:
http://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives/supported-xen-44-s
er
es/ xen-440.html
I thought that we have agreed that we will move the nested
virtualization
from experimental to 1.0 or something else in Xen 4.4 release note.
But it seems it still in experimental state and there is no mention of
it in the release note.

Well we discussed it, but there were too many things still missing to
call it a properly supported feature: in particular, doubts about how
well shadow-on-hap would work, which would be a potential security
Actually, I'd like to know all potential nested issues and I will try to solve it if possible. But the problem is that I am not clear about those issues that you guys mentioned. Is there any thread talk about them?

I think I was thinking along the lines of what I wrote in this thread:

Msg-ID <52E28EFB.3020008@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It seems there the minimum thing for a "1.0" release is that an L1 admin must not be able to do anything to affect an L0; and thinks at the moment likely to do so are enabling PoD (and probably also paging) for L2 guests. It's OK if enabling PoD crashes the *L1* hypervisor (because that's under the L1 admin's control); but it must not be allowed to crash / DoS the L0 hypervisor.

BTW, I take it that you're only supporting 64-bit hypervisors at the moment? A few weeks ago I tried Win7's "XP Compatibility Mode" with a 32-bit guest and it just gave me weird errors when trying to start an L2 guest. 64-bit worked just fine, however.

I don't think 32-bit L1's are particularly important, but it's officially not supported, that should probably be documented on the wiki page.

 -George