[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Xen-devel] [PATCH RFC 0/3] Move RTC interrupt injection back into the vpt code.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Andrew Cooper
<andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13/02/14 17:32, Tim Deegan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> This series implements the most recent idea I was proposing about
>> reworking the RTC PF interrupt injection.
>> Patch 1 switches handling the !PIE case to calculate the right answer
>> for REG_C.PF on demand rather than running the timers.
>> Patch 2 switches back to the old model of having the vpt code control
>> the timer interrupt injection; this is the fix for the w2k3 hang.
>> Patch 3 is just a minor cleanup, and not particularly necessary.
>> N.B. In its current state it DOES NOT WORK.  I got distracted by
>> other things today and didn't get a chance to finish working on it,
>> but I wanted to send it out for feedback on the general approach.
>> If it seems broadly acceptable then either I can pick it up again next
>> week or maybe Andrew can look at fixing it.
>> Cheers,
>> Tim.
> I should have time to look at the series tomorrow.

The next question to ask is this:

This is the last big disruptive bug / bugfix on my list.  We're
planning on cutting an RC Monday probably, with a test day Tuesday.
This bug was originally marked as "Not for 4.4".

So our options are:
* Delay the release, waiting for this new series to be ready
* Take the patch Andy posted last week for now, and backport Tim's fix
when it's ready
* Release without this bug being fixed

As a reminder (for those who haven't been following the thread), the
effect of this bug is that w2k3 guests sometimes hang during boot.
I'm not sure exactly how often this is, but from talking to Andy it
seems to be fairly low -- one percent maybe?  The code is very subtle
and any change may risk causing similar hangs in other situations; in
particular we would want to be able to test it pretty well.

At the moment I'm leaning towards not delaying the release for it.
That could either mean checking the patch we have to hand today (so it
can make it into the RC Monday hopefully), or just going without it.

Any thoughts?


Xen-devel mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.