Re: [Xen-devel] Possible issue with x86_emulate when writing results back to memory

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>, Andrew Cooper <Andrew.Cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Simon Graham <simon.graham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:09:18 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:10:02 +0000

> > I agree that it _shouldn't_ end up emulating -- but the shadow page fault
> > routine has a ton of code paths that I've never managed to fully grok
> >
> > (As an aside, I've previously looked at other cases where the shadow code
> > ends up emulating instructions that are unexpected that cause VMs to
> hang
> > because the shadow module doesn't have a proper implementation of the
> > x86_emulate callbacks... e.g. if you try to run the old MS Virtual Server
> > product inside a Xen VM that has logdirty enabled it _will_ hard hang).
>
> Perhaps that's then what really needs fixing?

Well, I don't disagree but I also think the two problems are orthogonal -- the
shadow use of x86_emulate is incomplete but every use of x86_emulate suffers
from the problem that copies to and from memory are not following the
definition of the x86 architecture.

I previously looked at fixing the shadow use of x86_emulate but it's a big job
that I don't have the expertise or time to address.

Simon