Re: [Xen-devel] linux-2.6.18-xen.hg does not build on Debian wheezy

>>> On 16.12.13 at 13:22, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jan Beulich writes ("Re: linux-2.6.18-xen.hg does not build on Debian
> wheezy"):
>> And of course it goes almost without saying that tool chain
>> updates should in general not result in build failures, no matter
>> that the code jere indeed has always been broken.
>
> I'm not sure whether you're saying "yes it's wrong of 2.6.18 to have
> this broken code" (but I thought you had already implied that) or "it
> is wrong that we get a new build failures as a result of upgrading the
> compiler" (but I'm not sure how else things could work) or something
> else.

I was saying both: The code was wrong, but tool chain updates also
shouldn't introduce build failures on code that was accepted broken
for many years (i.e. such should become warnings for an extended
period of time first imo). Iirc this was even discussed on the binutils
mailing list, but the end result was not a more user friendly approach...

Jan